CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 24, 2005

The man who wrote a ballad, standing before the gibbet.

There was a french poet, who was meant to be hanged more than just a few times. He escaped: once because of a coronation pardon, and another time because of a poem he wrote. Or so they say. No one knows where he died, or whether he died at all.

An invisible man, Francois Villon. I feel a story coming on. And a deep admiration.
He wrote a piece that could be my prayer today, thus I put it here--

As long as the earth still turns, as long as the light is clear.
Lord, grant to everyone - that which they lack.
To the wise grant a sound mind - for the coward procure a horse.
Give money to the contented - and please don't forget about me.
I know you are capable of everything, I believe in your wisdom.
As the fallen soldier, believes he will live again in paradise;
As every ear listens and believes in your silent words.
As we ourselves believe - not knowing what we create.

- The Prayer of Francois Villon: Bulat Okudzhava

1 comments:

Gul said...

Amen.